In 1999 the Forge of Livemmo, for over 150 years in disuse and forgotten in the bush, of which only a few semi-buried cavities could be identified (coal deposits), was the object of an archival-documentary research by the historian of the economy Giancarlo Marchesi.
The investigation revealed the complexity of the architectural aspect of the Livemmo melting furnace and the great importance of the structure in the past.
Thanks to nineteenth-century maps it was possible to trace the exact location of the various elements of which the complex was composed: from the melting “machine”, the so-called “cannecchio”, to the coal deposits, to the mineral storage spaces.
In 2001 the area on which the old plant was built was acquired by the municipal heritage of Pertica Alta and, in the same year, it was the subject of a deforestation operation.
In July 2004, a careful and targeted excavation campaign led by the archaeologist Brogiolo began. The team that conducted the excavation operations aimed to bring to light at least a part of the remains of the forge. Thanks to this campaign, in the summer of 2004 it was possible to bring out the structure of the “cannecchio”, that is to say the “melting machine”.
This finding has considerable importance in the field of industrial archeology, since the Forge di Livemmo is the only structure of Brescia’s area that has preserved the primordial aspect, that is the one described by the Valle Sabbia statutes of 1573. In fact, the Melting Furnace Livemmo, located along the river Tovere, is a living testimony of the activity that for centuries has animated the economy of the Brescia valleys.
A careful analysis shows that the town of Livemmo saw the birth of the “cannecchio”, that is to say the blast furnace “alla bresciana”, the type of metallurgical plant that constituted, for the three centuries of the modern age, a real technological supremacy of the metallurgical operators of the Brescia valleys.

LOCATION

  • Pertica Alta

PHOTO GALLERY