The Church of the Blessed Virgin of the Snow is built in the sixteenth century, following the miraculous appearance of the Virgin to a little shepherd, Bartolomeo Silvestri on 1st of August 1527. The church is located in the hamlet of Auro, anticipated by a narrow churchyard, bordered frontally from the raised hill at a close distance. The structure is distinguished by a gabled façade, anticipated by a quadrangular portico, equipped with pitched roof, flanked on the right side by the bell tower.
The church has a single-chamber system with the main front access portal, with the choir containing the organ in counter-façade, while inside it is richly decorated and plastered, with barrel-vaulted roof and side altars. The vault is covered with elaborate stucco frames containing frescoes. The counter-façade wall and the second right-hand chapel are occupied by the two large organ’s wooden posts built in the eighteenth century by the Pialorsi family. The presbytery, raised and quadrangular, has a vaulted barrel-vaulted roof, and ends in a flat apse floor on which is set the high altar. Next to the church there is the vestry and service rooms.
At the third right altar is the painting of Sant’Antonio Abate by Moretto, executed after 1530. The work, of great artistic value and placed at the peack of the painter’s production, presents much freer characters than the contemporary works and the cause, probably, it is to be found in the provincial patron, for which Moretto could express his artistic talent with more tranquility. The canvas has also been defined as the archetype of Brescian seventeenth-century painting, rich in movements, contrasts, powerful volumes and violent signs.

LOCATION

  • Casto (BS)