Little or nothing remains of the original structure of this mighty castle, built to guard the Valley of river Chiese and the Agna torrent, on the ancient “via Teutonica”.
Junction of territorial defense strategies between Riviera, Valsabbia and Trentino, the castle reaches its maximum extension between the eleventh and twelfth centuries, when the upper tower and annexed buildings, on the top of Mount Cingolo, are surrounded by a triple circle of walls that go down to the banks of the river Chiese.
It became then the object of contention on several occasions and was first taken by the Scaligeri in 1330 and then by Bernabò Visconti in 1362, who, by reprisal, devastated it by demolishing most of the fortifications. In the first half of the 1400s it is still a “war weapon” and hosts a Lord of the Castle paid byf Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, lord of Rimini, participating in the successive struggles between Milan and Venice; it will be abandoned and transformed into an “oratory” only at the end of the XV century, following the changed political conditions of the territory. Of its triple walls, enveloping the Cingolo hill of the town at the top, there are abundant traces emerging in several parts or hidden by vegetation.

LOCATION

  • Vobarno

PHOTO GALLERY