The Parish Church of Anfo, dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, is a sturdy construction of the fifteenth century, which has undergone evident restoration and modification over time. In the 16th century the apse painted on the outside was renewed or added, with friezes on the cornice and with red and green tabulae still visible from the second floor of the bell tower, leaning against it and erected with local stone.
In 1847 the church, in the style of the Lombardic basilicas with exposed roofing, by the parish priest don Francesco Mabellini, was enlarged in height and length, while the façade was completed in 1907, designed by Marsilio Vaglia, following lines of sober elegance. The central window was turned into a rose window during the repair work carried out around 1950. This rosette was laid out in stone, depicting the Pelican (Christ or the Church) that feeds its young. Once the work was done, it became clear that the church would have lost its luminosity and therefore replaced it with the current one, a Veronese laboratory work, thanks to the generous intervention by Pietro Liberini; while the original was walled up on the façade of the nearby Canonica. Anfo belonged to the Church of Idro, from which it was emancipated since the fifteenth century, when Giovanni Treboldi endowed a legacy for the celebration of daily masses the church of San Giovanni, perhaps the primitive church on the area of which was later built the current. The legacy was commemorated in a plaque on the north wall of the church.The interior has a single nave, with a very spacious apse that houses the main altar. The four side altars are located in the first half of the nave; the majestic organ follows on the south wall, facing on the north wall by a small counter-center and by the chapel that houses the baptismal font.
The interior decoration was performed from 1958 to 1963 by Vittorio Trainini and his disciple Giacomo Olini on the occasion of the restoration promoted by the parish priest Don Francesco Inverardi. The pictorial intervention overlaps with the previous decoration carried out in 1913 by Eliodoro Coccoli on behalf of Don Francesco Capitanio: some evidences of this period remain in some vintage photographs as well as in watercolor sketches of exquisite workmanship. During the works in the late 50s in the presbytery, the remains of ancient frescoes were brought to light and restored: one of Our Lady of Sorrows, St. Peter, St. Paul, on the left, St. Defendant and St. Lawrence on the right.

LOCATION

  • località-Anfo

CONTACTS