he Hermitage of San Giacomo was founded around the tenth century, together with a hostel for pilgrims, by the Benedictine monks of San Pietro in Monte Orsino di Serle who had the task of reclaiming the area.The church is rich in history due to its location: built on border land was often the center of violent disputes between the City of Bagolino and the Counts of Lodrone who, as lords of the places, claimed possession of the Pian d’Oneda, land on which the church stands.
The millenary church has a gabled façade and a portico with three arches, added in 1600, which still bear traces of ancient frescoes. Outside the portico, on the right, there is a large paint of San Cristoforo while, in the center, there was the winged lion symbol of Venice. The bell tower, from the second half of the nineteenth century, is six meters high and replaces the oldest one, only three meters high, which did not allow the sound of the bells to reach all the inhabitants of the area. The old hostel next to the church bears the coat-of-arms of Bagolino on its door.The church, with a single nave, preserves the apse and the steps that descend into the former chapel dedicated to the cult of San Valentino, whic today is the vastry. The nave, with its roof trusses supported by two arches, receives a shower of light from the windows that run high along the church walls. The interior, bare and suggestive in its simplicity, kept a precious canvas enclosed in the wooden frames of the apse, now in the parish of Ponte Caffaro, the only work remaining in the Brescia area of the painter Josephus Salviatus (G. Porta). The painting depicting the Madonna and Child with Saints Marco, Filippo Valentino and Jacopo was bought by the City of Bagolino in the year 1568.The left altar was dedicated to the Madonna di San Luca and it contained a painting, today placed on the main altar, which depicted in copy the miracle Madonna di Bagolino. The pair, painted in the early seventeenth century for the Convent of Bagolino, is the work of Raminca (local painter).
This paint escaped from the looting of the Convent during the time of the Cisalpina, after alternating events, was donated to the church of San Giacomo in 1860 by descendants of M. Dagani called “Scagn” who, in the meantime, had come into possession.

LOCATION

  • località -Bagolino (BS)

CONTACTS