Tradition has it that the small building dedicated to the saints Rocco and Sebastiano was built on the remains of a pagan temple, which later became a small oratory from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
The church is located near the cemetery, anticipated by a churchyard left with grass and trees. The structure has a gabled structure, preceded by an arcade, with a neo-Gothic style, while the actual front is characterized by central openings, including a portal and a rose window, with a cornice with two sloping gorges with stone plumes.
The interior presents a single hall, with a vaulted roof in blue hues, and enriched by precious side altars. Between 1483-1486 Gianni Pietro Da Cemmo frescoed the presbytery. This cycle of frescoes (Annunciation, twelve Sybils, Crucifixion, four doctors of the Western Church and the life of Saints Rocco and Sebastiano) is a very important testimony of Lombard painting between 1400 and 1500 between the International Gothic and the Renaissance Italian. In 1577 the church was enlarged and dedicated to S. Rocco and the frescoes were covered with a layer of lime and only in 1958 were they brought back to light. The church contains valuable works by painters from the 1600s and the last of the fifteenth century. The statue of the saint is preserved in the anonymous space and is only discovered in August, the day of S. Rocco.

LOCATION

  • località -Bagolino (BS)

CONTACTS