The church of S. Giorgio is located in the centre of Bagolino and is on a rocky elevated position compared to the surrounding area. It has a large, gabled roof, preceded by a colonnade with a vaulted ceiling and a pitched roof.
Built in the ‘600 in just three years by the architect G.Battista Lantana (1561-1627), it is the third largest in the province of Brescia, so that it was called “cathedral in the mountains”. Inside there are works by great artists such as: Tiziano, Tintoretto, Palma il Giovane, Torbido, Pietro Mera, gathered there to testify the greatness of the Republic of Bagolino. The interior of the sacred building looks like a large smooth barrel vault illuminated by eight semi-circular windows corresponding to the eight side chapels, four on each side, interspersed with double pilasters that contribute to give a feeling of greater height. The presbytery, which is also covered with barrel, but lower, ends with a semi-cylindrical apse which, on the outside, is polygonal. The frescoed vault was built by Tommaso Sandrini according to the taste and typical structures of the seventeenth century. The high altar, work of the abbot Gaspare Turbini, is majestic and elegant thanks to the ancient green of the marble embellished by the gilded bronzes. The altarpiece, executed by Andrea Celesti, represents the SS Trinità above and below S. Giorgio which kills the dragon. In the background, an airy and beautiful landscape, creates an almost unreal and joyous atmosphere typical of the eighteenth century. The table of the Madonna di San Luca is the work of one of the “madonnari” who settled in Venice, handed down this type of painting for several centuries (from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century).
G.Panzazza places this painting in the fifteenth century, defining the ‘opera’ as one of the finest examples produced in this field. “The original table is discovered every five years with solemn ceremonies and what is seen is only a copy.
The works slowed down during the plague of 1630, so the church, although it was frescoed by Palma the Younger in some parts of the nave and some altars, still had the vault of the presbytery and the apse unfinished. The work continued after the plague, using material that was to be transported by Condino, and in 1636 the church was finished. Painters and frescoes completed the decoration. The “Duomo” of Bagolino overlooks the village that seems to have been gathered at its feet in a semicircle (the two ends of the circle become larger and form the two quarters: Visnà on the right side of the church and Cavril on the left side). The massive façade is adorned with simple graffiti, interrupted only by a simple trifora and punctuated by an elegant colonnade formed by seven arches that give a striking full effect in the upper part and a void in the lower part. The influence of Venice is probably visible by the style of the building. The material and labor for the construction of the portico were provided by the Versa family. It reads on the base of the pilaster of the arc of access of the left of the colonnade: MARTI + VERSA – F. SVO – FILIOL? – DA – B. The same Versa donated the left portal at the same time. The bell tower built in 1681 replaces a previous one that stood next to the right entrance and ends with a dome that rests on an octagonal drum. From anonymous paintings and the Moreschi one can see that the top ended with a high spire, probably destroyed by the fire of 1779.

LOCATION

  • Via Parrocchia, 4, 25072 Bagolino BS, Italia